There may be times when you want to block certain websites in order to prevent your children from accessing them, control your addiction to social media websites, or eliminate other types of distractions. Although most browsers do not have a built-in way to block websites, there are a handful of workarounds that can be used to get the job done.
Let’s look at some other methods for blocking websites on your favourite browsers.
How to Block Websites in Chrome on Desktop
The best way to block websites on Chrome is to use a Chrome extension. One of such popular extension is Block Site.
- Install the BlockSite extension by clicking on “Add to Chrome” on the download page followed by “Add extension.” Wait for the extension to install.
- Once installed, open the site and click on the BlockSite icon in the extensions bar. Click on the “Block this Site” button or click the Settings icon.
- Type the URL into the “Enter a web address box” and click on “Add item.” Add other addresses following the same method.
Some cool features of the extension include password protection, a built-in adult site blocker, and scheduling. The free version lets you block six websites. To block unlimited websites, you must upgrade to the premium version.
Other website blocker extensions you may like:
Just like Chrome, you can use an add-on like Block Site to block websites in Microsoft Edge and Firefox.
How to Block Websites in Safari on a Desktop
Mac offers a native feature to block websites using Screen Time functionality. Keep in mind that it will also block websites in third-party browsers installed on your Mac, such as Chrome, Edge, or Firefox. Follow these steps to set it up:
- Click on the Apple logo in the top-left corner of the screen and select “System Preferences” from the menu.
- Click on “Screen Time” in the System Preferences window that opens.
- Click on “Content & privacy” from the left sidebar of the Screen Time window. If the screen shows that Content & Privacy Restrictions are off, click on “Turn on.”
- Choose “Limit Adult websites” next to Web content. If you want to restrict adult content only, this setting is enough. But since we are interested in blocking websites, click on the “Customize” button.
- Click on the “+” icon under the Restricted section and type the website URL to block it.
- Use Screen Time Passcode for added security to ensure that no one can remove the blocked websites from the restricted list. If you want to block websites on the Safari browser alone, use the WasteNoTime extension Safari extension.
How to Block Websites on Android
Third-party apps such as BlockSite and StayFree Web can help you block websites on your Android phone. The apps will work in all browsers installed on your phone.
Follow the steps below to block websites with the StayFree web app:
- Install the app on your Android phone.
2. Grant the necessary permissions like Accessibility and Screen Overlay for the proper functioning of the app
3. On the app’s home screen, tap on the floating add (+) icon and enter the website URL. You can keep the “Block after” time as 0 or set it according to your preferences and tap on “Block website.” ..”
How to Block Websites on iOS
Similar to Mac, Screen Time on iOS will help block websites. Follow the instructions below:
1. Open iPhone Settings and go to “Screen Time.”
2. Tap on “Content & Privacy Restrictions” and enable it on the next screen.
3. Tap on “Content Restrictions” followed by “Web content.”
4. Select “Limit Adult Websites,” and tap on “Add Website” under “Never Allow.” Type the URL you wish to block and press “Done.”
If you open the blocked website on your iPhone, you will get a content-restricted error. Make sure to add the Screen Time passcode to your iPhone so that no one can allow the websites without your permission.
How to Block Websites on All Browsers
The methods described above are browser-specific and only work on a single browser. If you’re looking for a cross-browser blocking solution, Cold Turkey is an awesome tool for Windows and Mac. Other tools include FocalFilter and Freedom.
- Install the Cold Turkey tool on your Mac or Windows device.
- Once installed, the tool will ask you to install the Cold Turkey extension on the browsers installed on your computer. Click on “Install” next to the supported browsers.
- Open the Cold Turkey tool again on your computer and click on “Blocks” in the left sidebar. Click on “Add a new block” and add the websites you wish to block.
- After you create a block, make sure to enable it using the toggle next to it.
- The free version lets you block an unlimited number of websites. You can even specify how long you want to block websites.
Tip: use the BlockSite app on iOS if you don’t like the idea of using Screen Time to block websites